By Thomas C. Oden
2014 top Theological Memoir from Byron Borger, Hearts and Minds Bookstore
How did one of many 20th century's such a lot celebrated liberals have one of these dramatic swap of middle?
After turning out to be up within the center of rural Methodism in Oklahoma, Thomas Oden chanced on Marx, Nietzsche and Freud storming into his mind's eye. He joined the post-World warfare II pacifist move and have become enamored with each point of the Nineteen Fifties' ecumenical pupil Christian flow. Ten years sooner than America's access into the Vietnam struggle he fashionable Ho Chi Min as an agrarian patriot. For Oden, each flip used to be a left turn.
At Yale he earned his PhD less than H. Richard Niebuhr and later met with essentially the most ambitious minds of the era―enjoying conversations with Gadamer, Bultmann and Pannenberg in addition to a long dialogue with Karl Barth at a makeshift place of work in his medical institution room. whereas touring together with his kin via Turkey, Syria and Israel, he attended Vatican II as an observer and obtained his first flavor of old Christianity. And slowly, he stopped making left turns.
Oden's enthusiasms for pacifism, ecumenism and the interface among theology and psychotherapy have been ambushed via diversified shapes of truth. but it was once a problem from a Jewish student, his good friend and mentor Will Herberg, that induced his so much dramatic turn―back to the good minds of old Christianity. Later a gathering with then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (later Benedict XVI) planted the seeds for what grew to become Odens hugely influential Ancient Christian remark on Scripture. This attention-grabbing memoir walks us via not just his own heritage yet the most memorable chapters in twentieth-century theology.
Read Online or Download A Change of Heart: A Personal and Theological Memoir PDF
Best biographies of christianity books
It's a first hand account of what occurred while a small crew of missionaries went to a distant mountainious zone of Ethiopia to coach group improvement and the Bible. It coincided with a communist revolution and the chain of occasions was once no much less dramatic than what the early Christians within the Bible confronted.
Circuitous trips: glossy non secular Autobiography presents a detailed studying and research of ten significant lifestyles tales by means of twentieth-century leaders and thinkers from quite a few spiritual and cultural traditions: Mohandas Gandhi, Black Elk, Thomas Merton, Dorothy Day, C. S. Lewis, Malcolm X, Paul Cowan, Rigoberta Menchu, Dan Wakefield, and Nelson Mandela.
• This elegantly written biography bargains the main intimate, specified, rounded and supremely human portrait but painted of the good Christian philosopher and martyr • attracts on writings only in the near past made available - together with the correspondence among Bonhoeffer and his teen-age fiancé, Maria von Wedemeyer • clean insights into the duplicity into which Bonhoeffer used to be drawn, with interesting fees from the factitious diary and letters he composed to distract the Gestapo from his genuine actions • full of interesting extracts from Bonhoeffer's personal letters and papers, making a shiny feel of the momentous occasions within which he lived, and of his innermost recommendations and emotions at any given second 'A reliable biography takes a reader past the lifetime of its topic into the days and locations within which they lived.
'Through the lens of neuroscience, McHargue makes his case for valuing faith now not for its genuine explanatory strength yet quite for its skill to offer intending to human lifestyles . . . should you worry technological know-how will rob them of either God and Christian neighborhood, this paintings might provide much-needed wish that Christianity and technology can coexist.
- Minute By Minute: A Pivotal Question from God, My Response, and The Remarkable Miracles That Followed
- Severus of Antioch (The Early Church Fathers)
- One Word but Many Tongues: Confessions of a Multiculturalist
- El Misterio de Jesús de Nazaret: 08 (Grandes obras) (Spanish Edition)
- Theology of My Life: A Theological and Apologetic Memoir
Extra resources for A Change of Heart: A Personal and Theological Memoir
A Change of Heart: A Personal and Theological Memoir by Thomas C. Oden